"Protest to be held as Informal traders are forced to contribute a higher percentage of their earnings than formal workers, who earn more" –  FUTRAND

On Tuesday, April 24, it was announced in the press that all informal traders including women over the age of 55, and men over 60, would receive an old-age pension, whether or not they had contributed to Social Security. Without doubt, this is very good news, as it is another right acquired because citizens work and pay taxes due to all the efforts made by our organisation to obtain this recognition.

On the other hand, via a Decree in the National Assembly, article 6 of the Social Security Act has been modified to require that Informal Traders contribute 13% of their declared earnings to the Department of Social Security. We reject this, as the contribution percentage is too high as formal employees contributions consist of  4% from the employee, plus 7% from the employer, which is a total of 11%. We do not understand why they are asking informal traders who earn less to pay much more than the formal employees.We are publicising this new form of discrimination on behalf of this group of workers who so greatly need solidarity and the respect of the authorities, civil society and national and international institutions to obtain better working and retirement conditions.


For more information:

Monica Garzaro Scott, StreetNet Organiser
Email: garzaroscott@gmail.com

Sharon Pillay, Publicity and Media officer
Email: sharonpillay4@yahoo.com

Like us
Follow us on Twitter

World Class Cities for All - Brazil (Portuguese Blog)

There is also a portuguese version of the Blog where one can access personal updates on news and events. It can be found on this link: http://streetnetbrasil.wordpress.com/

StreetNet NewsBox


INDIA. DP is irreparable, scrap it, say activists. Times of India (10 April 2015).

TANZANIA. College plans to identify trade opportunities for hawkers. Daily News (10 April 2015)  by Ludovick Kazoka.

INDIA. No street vendors, cycle rickshaws in Lajpat Nagar market: NGT. Zee News (8 April 2015) by PTI. New Delhi:

BOTSWANA. EDD is the way to go. Mmegi Online (8 April 2015).

USA. Five Courses: Hawkers' street food flair & more. Creative Loafing Tampa Bay (8 April 2015) by Meaghan Habuda.

INDIA. Hawkers may be allowed near Rishi Kapoor, Anil Ambani's Pali Hill residences. DNA India (8 April 2015) by Amrita Nayak Dutta.

ABU-DHABI. Abu Dhabi Municipality raid scares away street hawkers. Gulf News (7 April 2015).

SINGAPORE. Hawker centres to be spruced up with murals and art installations. Channel News Asia (5 April 2015) by Vimita Mohandas.

MALAYSIA. 'Development will be inclusive'. The Star Online (3 April 2015).

INDIA. 'Street vendors denied right to livelihood'. The Hindu (1 April 2015) by K.N. Umesh.

SOUTH AFRICA. South Africa: Xenophobic Violence in KZN - 'This Is a Black Easter for Foreigners'.

SINGAPORE. Singapore street food: stewed, sliced and steamed - video.

USA. Street vendors press city to legalize their trade.

StreetNet International

StreetNet International is an alliance of street vendors. It was launched in Durban, South Africa, in November 2002.

Membership-based organizations (unions, co-operatives or associations) directly organizing street vendors, market vendors and/or hawkers among their members, are entitled to affiliate to StreetNet International.

The aim of StreetNet is to promote the exchange of information and ideas on critical issues facing street vendors, market vendors and hawkers (i.e. mobile vendors) and on practical organizing and advocacy strategies