On Tuesday, April 24, it was announced in the press that all informal traders including women over the age of 55, and men over 60, would receive an old-age pension, whether or not they had contributed to Social Security. Without doubt, this is very good news, as it is another right acquired because citizens work and pay taxes due to all the efforts made by our organisation to obtain this recognition.
On the other hand, via a Decree in the National Assembly, article 6 of the Social Security Act has been modified to require that Informal Traders contribute 13% of their declared earnings to the Department of Social Security. We reject this, as the contribution percentage is too high as formal employees contributions consist of 4% from the employee, plus 7% from the employer, which is a total of 11%. We do not understand why they are asking informal traders who earn less to pay much more than the formal employees.We are publicising this new form of discrimination on behalf of this group of workers who so greatly need solidarity and the respect of the authorities, civil society and national and international institutions to obtain better working and retirement conditions.
WE WILL MARCH ON THE 1ST OF MAY TO PROTEST THE MOCKERY AND DISRESPECT TO WHICH WE ARE SUBJECTED BY GOVERNMENT AUTHORITIES
For more information:
Monica Garzaro Scott, StreetNet Organiser
Sharon Pillay, Publicity and Media officer
StreetNet International is an alliance of street vendors. It was launched in Durban, South Africa, in November 2002.
Membership-based organizations (unions, co-operatives or associations) directly organizing street vendors, market vendors and/or hawkers among their members, are entitled to affiliate to StreetNet International.
The aim of StreetNet is to promote the exchange of information and ideas on critical issues facing street vendors, market vendors and hawkers (i.e. mobile vendors) and on practical organizing and advocacy strategies